Monday, January 12, 2009

Progress end

Strings, integers, floats, booleans, and enums have all been added. It should be noted that everything you see in that screenshot is completely functional. You can enter data and it will be saved and you can easily load it into your game. All that remains are the two types of foreign fields which I've started work on but are basically the last big chunks of work on this thing. After that basic cut/paste etc functionality has to be added to the tree and some additional brush ups like how to handle DB syncing. Also the order of that screenshot is incorrect due to a bug, the final version will organize the GUI according to the order you define fields. It should be done in a week or two.

After that phase two begins where the new ika map editor is worked on and the DB is integrated into it. Honestly, I can't believe this thing is almost reality. I've had the dream for over 5 years now but my hate of GUI code has always held me back. But I think a lot of thanks is owed to WIP, without his back end work on the DB side of things I would probably have gotten sick of all the dirty work before getting to the interesting stuff.

When I wrap this part up I'll probably do a more detailed gruedorf post explaining what this thing actually does and why I made it, for those of you who missed my original explanation way back when. I'm also hoping to make a real fast demo game with it when I finish up just to illustrate the utility of it.

Oh, and school resume this week which means all progress is about to die. AWESOME.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Too lazy for a title

It's capable of generating stuff for a model but it's not especially functional yet. It was a bit of a shore connecting all the thingamabobs for it. In other news I started rebuilding my old website with django, and am partway through judging the verge compo. Yep.