Saturday, September 17, 2011

jub jub

This week status effects and their related actions were done. Additionally the data portion of abilities was down in addition to part of their implementation.

Saturday, September 10, 2011


I have begun implementing the battle system in tiny independent pieces. So far this is going pretty well! Currently I have damage processing, conditionals (non-trivial when game data can be transferred over the network so an ordinary eval statement is out of the question), and actions. I will talk more about this design strategy next week!

Saturday, September 3, 2011


I added a new model-file selection prompt, a sync and change model button, and even optimized the DB slow issue (h2o used to take 4 seconds to load. now it's instant)- which turned out to be a fairly simple error on my part. Hooray! Next week, the battle system begins.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Return to Gruedorf

The gruedorf site was down for like a week and without a timer to nag me I simply didn't care to update this thing. But that's all in the past.

Updates or not, plenty of progress has went down. In short summary the current build of the game lets 4 players connect together using a simple gui, walk around the map in a turn-based fashion, and chat.

That was completed weeks ago. More recently I have been churning out technical documentation for the battle system's mechanics and designing how the main game plays out. More recently I took ikaDB out of the attic, ripped out its dependencies on iked (since ika in general is now dead), renamed it to GameDB (I need a better name), and have begun to spruce it up a bit for this project.

The first improvement I've made is caching the GUI for models. More specifically: wxpython (or possibly the database itself) is really slow at generating the GUI for each model, so I added caching the generated model GUIs at start up so the interface is much snappier now. Unfortunately I couldn't make it cache modal pop-ups for add/editing sub-models due to how wx works, but those are used less frequently and they cache after the first instance so it's not too bad.

Next up is revising the GUI for its new standalone format, fixing up the bugs I encountered while working on Hydration 2, and trying to speed up the underlying DB access (presently it's too slow to use in real-time, you basically have to load the entire thing into your game at start-up, and that takes a few seconds. I hate this and want to fix it. I'm not sure of the underlying cause yet.) I'm toying with the idea of a public release of GameDB since it would be useful for virtually any game written in Python, but there's a lot of nasty gunk in it I'd want cleaned up before a public release.

Saturday, June 18, 2011


Some design doc work was done. That was it! for reasons beyond my control.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Find Path

I got the beginning of pathfinding done but there's still additional work to be done on it. Then I realized my planning was insufficent to determine how to connect the dots so I went back and started expanding the design doc for the code. And I am still doing just that. A poor week.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bugs, bugs, bugs

My goal for the week, after some soul searching, was to get sprites working. That goal has been mostly completed.

It's partially due to my inexperience with it but so far C++ is like working in sludge since virtually every additional piece of functionality I add gets a bug/flaw associated with it that takes an hour or more to fix before I can move on to the next thing (hello thar manual memory management). Hopefully that becomes less plentiful as I get used to it.